Michael Gray, Principal
Dear St. Joseph’s School Community,
I write as an update for all our families regarding support for schooling at St Joseph’s next term. The hope for this communication is to provide you with accurate information and possible options for the next term.
Term 2 commencement
At this stage, Term 2 is still scheduled to start on Tuesday 14th April 2020 with a pupil-free day. The form of the commencement via online and/or onsite learning for some or all students has not been finalised by the Minister for Education as yet. As more specific advice becomes available from the Department of Education and Training, and the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria I will update you as soon as possible.
General educational situation; at the time of writing.
St. Joseph’s school leadership and staff have focused on 3 possible school options for next term, these being; normal schooling (10% chance), remote home learning for all (40% chance) or a combination of home time and school access for essential service families (50%). These are best “guesstimates” only.
Depending on what is needed our term 2 curriculum model will also focus on a combination of both on-line and the more traditional ‘pen and paper’ aspects of learning. (Posted to all families over the break).
High on our teaching focus will be connecting with students; if we are closed this will involve a video conferencing system called ‘google meets’ or telephone contact on a regular basis.
The video conferencing system, ‘google meets’ we use is free to our St. Joes community, is easily used by staff, students and families and has outstanding support via ‘google education’. Instructions will be available when our term starts.
There is no need to buy new electronic devices; a PC/mac/ipad/phone will work. The survey we have sent to families will help us understand your personal situation.
Over the last few years, we have spent time with all students developing their ICT skills and our Grade 5 and 6 have their own personal device.
Sent home at the end of the last term was a ‘Home Learning Journal’ for each child. Also, we have posted out the ‘pen and paper resource’ to each home ready for work next term. (Please note these documents will follow the child if there is a shared care arrangement with the child’s responsible supervising adult).
If you have been unable to collect your child’s ‘Learning Journal’ we will get it to your home next term as needed.
Catholic Education is working with Telstra to help ensure all students have ICT access plans if required for remote learning next term.
Student Diversity programming, allied health services and adjusted programming support will continue next term.
Important Operational Reminders
Student Access to Technology Survey
We have received completed important surveys for 55% of our students. If you have not had a chance to do so please complete this week. It will help us ensure your children have access to quality remote learning opportunities next term.
Student Supervision and Care Program
If you would like to register your early interest for a possible ‘Care & Supervision’ program (Subject to government and health advice for Term 2 and if you are currently working in essential services) please complete the following form for School Business Manager, Cathy Duynhoven.
This possible program will run within school hours and will not be a full classroom educational program but adjusted as per all our students.
Family Fee Support Program
If your financial circumstances have changed and you would like to either put a short term hold on your scheduled fee payments or seek further fee support please contact our School Business Manager, Cathy Duynoven, on firstname.lastname@example.org
See letter below for more information.
We are absolutely committed to working with our families as we move through these challenging times.
Thank you for your continued support of our school community; as our school message board reminds us we are “Stronger Together.”
It is working with each other that enables us to continue to provide rich and engaging learning activities and strong pastoral support for all students.Regards
Michael Gray, Principal
Dear Parents and Guardians
I write to you today to reassure families impacted financially by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that we want to assist you in every way possible to continue your child’s enrolment at St. Joseph’s.
As many in our school community grapple with unprecedented changes to finances, emotional wellbeing and physical health, we have taken a clear position on enrolments.
There has been a long-established policy in our St. Joseph’s Parish that no family is denied a Catholic education due to an inability to pay school fees. Catholic schools have provided fee relief to families since their beginning around 175 years ago and now again amidst COVID-19 we will do the same. No parent or guardian who wishes their child to receive a Catholic education at St. Joseph’s will be denied the opportunity to do so because of financial circumstances.
As you are probably aware, the Family Fee Assistance Scheme has been implemented at St. Joseph’s for several years. Families who hold a means-tested Health Care Card, Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or Veteran Affairs Pensioner Card qualify automatically for the scheme and pay a discounted family fee of $520 per annum ($10 per week).
If you are not eligible for the Family Fee Assistance discount yet are experiencing financial difficulty at this time, please contact our school business manager, Cathy Duynhoven via email in the first instance to email@example.com, so that we can explore confidential financial support arrangements to enable your child’s ongoing education at our school. After your initial confidential contact Cathy will then call and we will work through the options available.
Michael Gray, Principal.
While we are away from school our facility team has again been hard at work improving our site. I have listed tasks underway for the break. A special thanks to the team for this work.
- Government-funded replacement of all school fluorescent lighting to led energy saver lighting. (Over 1800 units will be installed)
- School entrance concreting to improve school pathways
- Tree maintenance program
- Installation of a further storage container
- Full school disinfectant cleaning program
- General tidy, clean, maintenance and grounds work.
A big thanks to all who purchased tickets in our Fair Raffles, a great way to support us with the fair cancellation, thanks.
See a photo of the winner of the easter egg raffle, the Anderson family.
A special thanks to our design team, Cara Chisolm and Kath McMeel, our Arts Team and our Learning Support Officers who constructed a mural of hope that is currently on display nightly from our D5 classroom windows. Below is the mural on the front page of the local Standard newspaper, feel free to share.
Published by Warrnambool Standard, Saturday 28th March 2020.